Title: I’ve Been Looking for You
Author: Jennifer Dean
Publication date: December 1st, 2017
Genres: Contemporary, LGBTQ+, Young Adult
Max: The new girl, the sarcastic asshole, the one who avoids getting attached to anyone.
Emily: The golden girl, the rule-abiding rebel, the one who unknowingly craves something more.
When fate brings the two girls together, life seemed to fall into place. Until their future plans are shattered the moment someone leaves drugs inside Max’s school locker.
While Max inevitably loses hope of escaping her new grim reality, Emily struggles to move on without the one she loves most. Especially when she’s the only one determined to find answers. But the closer Emily gets to discovering the truth, the harder it will be to stop her pursuit, even when it leads to dangerous consequences.
1. What does your writing process look like? Do you know the whole story when you start? Do you just start writing and go with it (seat of the pants writing) If you plan it out, how do you do that? Outline, notecards, post-it-notes, etc.?
My process is free flowing from the moment the first idea sparks. I usually switch between notebook and laptop, letting the characters and plot rapidly develop on their own. Unfortunately, that sometimes means being woken up during the night.
2. How do you come up with your ideas for your stories?
I don't think I can take credit for coming up with anything. I merely write the scenes that play inside my head.
3. How long have you been writing?
Since February 2, 2009. It's oddly specific but it's hard to forget the moment that changed my life.
4. What tips do you have for aspiring writers?
Write the story you want to write, not what you think others might like. At the end of the day it's the passion for the story that drives you to find the discipline to write.
5. What are your favorite:
• Books: The Time Traveler's Wife, Wuthering Heights, Harry Potter Series, The Girl on The Train, Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, On The Road, The Help.
• Authors: J.K. Rowling, C.S. Lewis, Madeleine L'Engle.
• Genres: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Young Adult.
• Movies: Titanic, The Patriot, Bridesmaids, Pitch Perfect.
• TV Shows: Will and Grace, Orange is the New Black, Parks and Rec, That 70's Show, Sherlock.
• Music: Pink, Fleetwood Mac, Coldplay, Tom Petty, Imagine Dragons, Lukas Graham, A Great Big World, The Chainsmokers.
• Food: Tex-Mex, Italian, Chinese.
• Writing snack: Nacho Cheese Doritos.